The 22ndAnnual Conference
for Young Women in
Grades 6, 7 and 8, Their Teachers, Parents and Counselors
will be held Saturday,
REGISTRATION IS FULL!
We are looking forward to an incredible day
February 22, 2014
8:00 am - 3:15 pm
Northbrook Middle School
3030 Rosefield Dr.
Houston, Texas 77080
Expanding Your Horizons, a day-long conference sponsored by the West Harris County branch of the American Association of University Women, provides career information and role models for middle school girls. Professional women share their enthusiasm, education requirements and remuneration working in scientific, technical and financial careers with more than 400 girls, their parents and teachers. These creative people don’t lecture the kids but involve them in various ways to create hands-on experiences in every one of the workshops. The message is that there are both personal and monetary rewards for taking math and science in middle and high school.
Expanding Your Horizons wins Mayor’s 2008 Volunteer of the Year Award!
In recognition of EYH’s impact on the community, the Expanding Your Horizons steering committee – and all the volunteers, teachers and contributors who make EYH possible – were honored at the Volunteer Houston banquet on May 6, 2008.
- “I will remember this. I want to learn more.
- I never thought that I would feel this energy rushing through me as I built the bridge.
- I liked it a lot because it was hands on.
- Very, very interesting – I have always wanted to learn about these things.
- I loved doing the experiments. I had so much fun learning how it really works in labs.
- It got me really interested in being this when I grow up.
- It showed me many things I didn’t know and inspired me to think about my future.
- Cool! Awesome! Amazing! Fun! Exciting! I loved it! I will be back!
“Never has it been more important to promote STEM-related education and careers, and your organization has been a true leader in the local effort. We appreciate the great work of AAUW each year in planning and carrying out an event that makes a real difference for the career aspirations of young women. CenterPoint Energy is delighted to play a small part in supporting this important work."
CenterPoint EnergyManager, Corporate Community Relations
EYH is a volunteer effort. Only required school personnel are paid for services. Volunteers include:
- Professional women representing career fields that use math and science in their daily activities donate their time to present workshops for the girls and their parents and teachers.
- Facilitators from AAUW aid the presenters in the classroom.
- Steering Committee members, working throughout the year, plan and execute the conference.
- Many additional AAUW workers assist with registration, crowd control and distribution of meals on the day of the conference.
- High School Students assist in getting the presenters’ workshop materials into and out of the classrooms as well as assisting where needed.
Expanding Your Horizons in Science and Mathematics™
EYH is designed to nurture young women's interest in mathematics, science, and technology careers and to expand their career vision in these areas.